THOSE FASHIONABLE AND PROGRESSIVE GIRLS OF THE NORTHEAST!!



When I had gone to Bombay, in the early 90's, my classmates then used to tease me that I was from an adivasi place of jungles where people did hoo-haa, jingalala wearing tree-leaves, and ran around half-naked ( of course, they were kidding, but, they didn't know much about the place I came from, either ), and I'd be like ~ Oh..hello...Assam is not a junglee place and people are far more advanced in their thoughts and way of living, compared to the ones in Bombay, inspite of the latter being from such a big city. Deja vu moment ~ rest of world thinks of India as a land of jungles, snake-charmers etc; while rest of India esp those Bombaywalas thought northeast to be like that! Eh!!

True, besides that, if you've lived in Bombay over sometime, you'll come across such backward mentality too, that, you'd wonder how come they are a part of such a modern city, in the first place. With time, you'll discover mind-boggling existence of several layers of the society, that makes up the city. And that explains the contrast lifestyles of each, living just next to each other. The tall, posh skyscapers next to the slums and the middle-class housing societies & chawls cramped, in between. Its because, Bombay is largely a migrant city, and all types of people come from different corners of the country, bringing with them their own cultures and traditions, some often skewed ones too. So, you find all types of mentalities here. The ultra modern and also the ultra backward; and everything else, in all shades in between. Each wants to hang on to their own views and beliefs. And in most cases, they'd prefer the others to be like them too. While the ultra rich and modern, do not particularly care and minds their own business; its the other i.e the middle class and lower ones, who, perhaps more due their own inferiority complexes, insecurities or simply wanting to herd together, expect the others to be like them. And if not, gossip begins. Oh she is like that, she is wearing that etc. Well, I guess, this bitchiness goes on in the high-society too, esp in their kitty-parties lol. Anyways, I guess, its far more rampant in the middle and lower ranks of the society.

I lived in one such middle-class housing society for over a decade, and I observed this ( annoying ) behaviour, mainly from my neighbours. Like most of them have been totally obsessed about me, what I wear, where I go, what I do etc. They can't digest the fact that a girl can live independently, away from their native place, without any parents or relatives nearby; and so, are always gossiping behind my back 24x7. This, in such a modern city, right! oh well...it happens, ask me!

When I compare this with my own native place, its such a contrasting situation. In my place, you'll find it common for girls ( like me ), who have gone outside to study and live. Not just in other cities within India, but abroad too. And, the assamese society see it as their pride or achievement. Unlike many other states, they encourage the women to go out, work and live free, and not like places where girls are dictated what to wear or do; like to my horror, happens in a place like Bombay too. Like I said, most of these migrants like sticking to their outdated customs and manners, nevermind, if generations have lived in the city.

When I was strolling in my native city recently. I was like totally impressed ( and awed too ) at the sense of dressing of most of the female folks there. They dressed young, modern and very hep. This fashion you'll only find abroad, or the ultra modern in Bombay wear. If one wears them in the lower ones, they'll be bitched and gossiped about for sure ~ like, kya pehni hai, kuch sharam bhi hai ya nahi.

The malls, and even the flea markets there in Ghy, have these modern pieces and I dread to think, what my neighbours back in my Bombay house would think or comment, if they see me wearing any of these. Even my decent capris and tunics sets their tongues rolling, so forget these hot-pants or micros, minis altogether. So, yes, such mentality, although so backward, inspite of being in the midst of a thriving modern city like Bombay is a reality. And mind you, my house in Bombay is right in the middle of the city. And its not just clothes, your whole lifestyle especially if you are a female is scrutinised and questioned. A far cry from my native city. And they think Guwahati or Assam or rather the NorthEast is backward. What an irony! Lolz.

If one goes to other states in the northeast too, one will come across a far more progressive mindset. Especially, when it comes to women. One will find, many of these societies matriarchal and not patriarchal i.e women folk are regarded superior to men. Often, its the men who goes to live in the women's house after marriage. The property belongs primarily to women, and the women inherits it. There's hardly any instances of dowry or female foeticide; caste divide is unheard of, although, each tribe takes pride in their ethicity. So for women, being born in northeast, is more like a blessing than a curse, as is the case in the rest of the country, unfortunately. If a woman chooses to live alone too or not marry at all, they are not hounded as it would usually happen, yes to my horror, in a place like Bombay too. Remember, the neighbours of mine there, I mentioned? ;-) Sigh...

However, I have not let their mentality affect me. I'm not there to succumb to their backward mentality or culture ( they are all marwadis, marathis, gujus and sindhi/punjabi folks ), I'd rather carry mine proudly, i.e being a fashionable and progressive NorthEasterner/ Assamese with my head held high. Let them remain puzzled, intrigued and shocked about me for the rest of their lives, what say, lol! I seriously don't see them becoming more open-minded in this lifetime atleast! ( hell, I might just wear a micro-mini when I'm there next, and see their reactions, heheh )

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog Appreciates Precious Comments from all except Copycats!